Saying goodbye is never easy. This is especially true when you’re saying goodbye to someone— or something—that you’ve grown fond of. Good thing there are so many languages to choose from when it’s time to bid adieu.
Origins of the Word Goodbye
Around the time of the 16th century, the popular way of saying goodbye in English “was formed partly by clipping or shortening ‘God be with you,’ where people speak hastily or in shorthand, and partly by compounding, the practice of combining two or more words into one” (Columbia Journalism Review). This was a way to bestow a blessing of travel safety on the leaving party. Though social media and electronic communications make contact across the miles easier today, this was not always the case. As Scientific American explains, “There was a time when departure from loved ones forced you to consider the very real possibility that the parting could be permanent, or very, very, very, very extended.”
Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow
From “goodbye” to “see you later,” here are a few common expressions when parting ways with other people.
- Japanese – Sayonara
- Italian – Arrivederci
- German – Auf Wiedersehen
- Spanish – Adios
- French – Au Revoir
- Greek – Yasou
- Creole – Orevwa
- Gaelic – Slan
- Latin – vale (to one person); valete (to more than one person)
- Korean – “anyeonghi gasyeo” if you’re staying and the other person is leaving; “annyeonghi kyeseyo” if you’re the one leaving.
- French – Adieu
- Spanish – Adios
- Romanian – Ramas bun
- Norwegian – Farvel
In the hopes of seeing one again soon:
- Swedish – vi ses – see you
- Afrikaans – tot wederdon – see you again soon
- Japanese – ja manta ne – see you again
- Hindi – fir milenge – see you
- Tamil – poitu varein – taking leave, but will visit again
- Pleasant sentiments of parting:
- Hebrew – shalom Aleichem – peace be upon you
- Bengali – Bhaalo thaakben – stay well
- Croatian – Idi s Bogom – go with God
- Swedish – Ha det så bra – take care
- Portuguese – adeus – may you go with God’s blessing
Say Goodbye to Translation Stress and Hello to a Trusted Partner
If your business needs professional translation services, it’s time to say goodbye to the stress of finding the right partner and hello to a company that will take care of every aspect of your language service needs. At ITC Global Translations, we know that it takes more than the knowledge of another language to provide high-quality translations. We know that it takes subject matter expertise to ensure that everything from your product data sheets to your corporate website are accurate and well-written. This is why we only hire linguists that are capable of producing work that meets our high standards.
Our professional translators know how to get your message across as if it were written in the target language. They cover a wide range of industries to meet the needs of businesses around the globe. Are you ready to say hello to a company that covers all of your translation needs with ease? Contact us today to learn more.